The Knox Student Housing
2017 Engineering Excellence Award
The project is the first in Knoxville to incorporate a green roof system in order to meet the City’s stormwater ordinance.
The Knox student housing is a development in a high density urban residential district near the University of Tennessee, Knoxville. Due to the limited available property, stormwater detention systems were not feasible or cost effective. Cannon & Cannon, Inc. provided an alternate method for stormwater management which included drainage calculations for a landscaped area within the rooftop amenities.
SOCIAL, ECONOMIC, AND SUSTAINABLE DESIGN CONSIDERATIONS
Other than stormwater management, there are additional benefits to the green roof system:
- The vegetated roof provides additional thermal resistance – mitigating the urban heat island effect
- Reduction of noise transmission
- Natural habitat for plants and animals
- Create a landscape environment with oxygen-producing carbon dioxide reduction
- A social setting entices the students to gather, relax, interact with nature and break away from the stressful environment of their studies
Detention & Drainage